Times SELECT 19 July 2019
Lenasia, south of Johannesburg, is reeling from a violent week after two Grade 9 boys shot two matric pupils in the legs while walking to school.
Resident Kovilin Vengadasamy, who lives close to MH Joosub Secondary School, said it was a shock to hear the gunshots on Tuesday morning.
“We heard gunshots and immediately came out. We didn’t expect it. I think it’s between the children,” said Vengadasamy.
He said the school – which referred queries from Times Select to the education department – needed to be stricter with its pupils.
“If the school doesn’t become strict, I won’t lie to you, things like this won’t stop.
“You should see how the children behave by the corner. It’s shocking how they smoke and hit pipe in the open. They misbehave and it’s bad.”
The pupils behaved “like gangsters”.
The two pupils who were shot were taken to hospital. By Wednesday one had been discharged.
The motive for the shooting remains a mystery.
You know with kids, I think it’s a girlfriend issue.
A local tuck shop owner said he suspected it might be a rivalry over a girl. “You know with kids, I think it’s a girlfriend issue.”
Another resident, Tamara Khatri, suspected it was drug related. “It [the shooting] doesn’t make sense at all.”
Three teenagers aged 14, 15 and 17 appeared in the Protea Magistrate’s Court on Wednesday and the matter was postponed for a social worker’s assessment report, legal representation, and a preliminary enquiry to be conducted, said National Prosecuting Authority spokesperson Phindi Mjonondwane.
A pistol and six rounds of ammunition were recovered at the home of one of the pupils.
“The 14-year-old was charged with illegal possession of a firearm and ammunition while the other two were charged with attempted murder and illegal possession of a firearm and ammunition.
“A 50-year-old father to one of the minors, the owner of the firearm, appeared too and was charged with negligent loss of a firearm. His matter has been postponed to August 30 for further investigation.” Mjonondwane said.
All the accused minors are being kept at a place of safety.
Gauteng education MEC Panyaza Lesufi said the level of violence in and around schools was a “grave concern”.
He welcomed the pupils’ arrest, saying “this is a sign of the cooperation agreement with the police to attend to these kind of acts occurring closer to our schools”.